If you want to enter information inside a cell, first you need to click the cell to make it active.
Then you can use one of the two methods to enter your data:
- Start typing, and the text will automatically appear inside the cell,
- Click the Formula Bar. As you start typing, the data will automatically appear in the Formula Bar, as well as in the active cell.
Different ways to confirm the input
You can confirm the data you typed in four different ways, depending on where you want the next active cell to be.
- The most common method to confirm entry is by pressing the Enter key. In this case, the next active cell will be the cell below,
- If you want the next active cell to be on the right side of the actual one, use the Tab key,
- Use Shift + Enter to activate the cell above,
- Use Shift + Tab to activate the cell which is located to the left of the current one.
Editing the contents of a cell
There are two ways to edit the contents of a cell:
- Double-click the cell which contents you want to edit and the cursor will be placed in the very same spot you clicked. If you use a single click, instead of double click, as soon as you start typing, the contents of that cell will be cleared and the new text entered,
- Click the cell with the content and place the cursor at the exact place in the Formula Bar, where you want to start editing data.
If you want to exit the edit mode without confirming the changes, press the ESC key.