OfficeTuts SEO is a free Excel add-in that speeds up common SEO tasks, essential in backlink analysis.
OfficeTuts SEO add-in consists of the following tools located on the ribbon.
Get Domain [button] – It converts a URL and returns a domain name in the following format: example.com, without https, https, or www.
Get Subdomain [button] – It works the same way as the Get Domain button, except it converts a URL and returns the subdomain: sub.example.com, without https, https, or www. If there is no subdomain in the string, it returns the domain.
URL Converter [taskpane] – Click this button to show a taskpane that gives you more control over URL conversion to domain and subdomain.
Create Hyperlink [button] – Converts text to a hyperlink if the string is a proper link.
Clear Hyperlink – [button] – Converts all hyperlinks to normal text.
Remove Empty Rows [button] – This button removes empty rows based on a selected column. The whole row is deleted if a cell is empty in the selected column.
Remove Duplicates [button] – Click a cell inside a column to remove all duplicate values from this column. If there is a duplicate, the whole row is deleted.
Humanize [taskpane] – Format large numbers to be more readable. Depending on the number, the suffixes “K” for 1000, “M” for a million, and “G” for a billion are added. The formatted numbers are treated as numbers and not text.
Change Case [expandable button] – Click it to reveal sub buttons with different options to change the case of letters.
Trim and Combine [expandable button] – There are two buttons under this option.
Trim Whitespaces [button] – Removes whitespace characters from the beginning and the end of a string.
Combine Spaces [button] – combine multiple spaces into one.
Highlight Non-English [button] – Click a cell inside a column to highlight all rows that contain non-English characters.
Remove Non-English [button] – It works the same as the previous button, but this time instead of highlighting cells, it removes them.
Functions in Add-in
OfficeTuts SEO add-in offers the following list of functions:
|Function Name||How it works|
|SEO.CASE.CAPITAL(text)||Changes the first letter of each word to uppercase and converts the remaining letters to lowercase.|
|SEO.CASE.LOWER(text)||Changes all letters to lowercase letters.|
|SEO.CASE.SENTENCE(text)||Changes the first letter of a sentence to uppercase and the remaining letters to lowercase.|
|SEO.CASE.TITLE(text)||Major words are capitalized and minor words are lowercase (articles, short prepositions, conjunctions).|
|SEO.CASE.UPPER(text)||Changes all letters to uppercase letters.|
|SEO.COMBINESPACES(text)||Combines multiple spaces into a single space.|
|SEO.TRIMWHITESPACES(text)||Removes whitespaces from the beginning and the end of the text.|
|SEO.GETDOMAIN(url, [param])||Returns the domain using different types of formatting. param = 1, 2, 3, or 4.|
|SEO.GETSUBDOMAIN(url, [param])||Returns the subdomain using different formattings. param = 1, 2, 3, or 4.|
|SEO.GETLANGUAGE(text)||Tries to guess the language of the string and display its name.|
|SEO.HUMANIZE(number, [precision])||Formats long numbers to shorter versions. They are formatted as text. precision = 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4.|
How to use Add-in in Excel 365 Desktop
To add an add-in to Excel, you must perform a few steps. This is a one-time operation.
Creating a directory and sharing manifest file
- Right-click the manifest file and choose Save As...
- Put the manifest file in a directory.
- Right-click the directory and choose properties.
- Click the Sharing tab, and then the Share button from Network File and Folder Sharing.
- Select the user you are logged on to, and click Share.
- Now, under Individual Items, you can see the path to your directory.
- Right-click the path and click Copy Link.
Adding manifest to Excel
- Open Excel.
- Click the File tab.
- Click Options.
- From Excel Options, click Trust Center.
- Click the Trust Center Settings button.
- Click Trusted Add-in Catalogs.
- In Catalog Url, enter the url (example: //DESKTOP-4GD6P06/manifest) and click Add catalog.
- Check the Show in Menu checkbox.
- Click OK.
- Close and open Excel.
Adding add-in to the Ribbon
- Click the Insert tab.
- Click My Add-ins in the Add-ins group.
- Click SHARED FOLDER.
- Select Add-in and click Add.
- A new add-in called SEO has been added to the ribbon.
How to use Add-in in Excel 365 Web
To install the add-in for Excel 365 for Web you have to perform these steps:
- Right-click the manifest file and choose Save As... to save it to a folder.
- Open Excel for the web.
- Select the Insert tab and click Office Add-ins from the Add-ins group.
- Click Manage My Add-ins to show a drop-down list.
- Choose Upload My Add-in.
- Click Browse, and select the manifest file.
- Click Upload.
- There is a new Ribbon Tab called SEO.
Right-click the manifest file and choose Save As…
If you have any questions or suggestions write to us using our contact page.